Friday, March 26, 2010

Rocky Mountain High! (25,26-Mar-2010)



I arrived in Colorado amid a forecast of dangerously snowy conditions on I-70 into Denver. They received almost 10 inches in some places, but luckily the sun came out just as I was crossing the Kansas/Colorado border and the temperature rose clearing the roadways. The plow trucks were out in full-force too.

Colorado is very much like Kansas until you reach Denver. There is no sign of mountains and the great plains continue to roll on:



My hotel stay was in Boulder and a very short ride to downtown:







Downtown is very beautiful, safe, and upscale. Since Boulder is a university town, there are a lot of young people which gives the town an energetic, hip vibe. It was a ton of fun and the views of the mountains were breathtaking.

I decided to take a ride to Golden, CO as I have heard it's a beautiful town as well with a more "western" feel. My drive took me deeper into the mountains:



The roads in the mountains were filled with tunnels:



And the views continued to be an inspiration:





Unfortunately, I got lost on my way to Golden. I think I was too distracted with the views and taking photos, because when the road turned to dirt, something just didn't seem right:



I tried asking the locals for directions, but they weren't very helpful or responsive:





Fortunately, I stopped at a gas station and a helpful guy there pointed me in the right direction and I finally found historic downtown Golden:



You are just surrounded by natural beauty here:



And of course, Golden is the headquarters of Coors Brewing Company:



I continued to walk around downtown and explore this interesting town and accidentally came across The American Mountaineering Center. I've never heard of this place before, but they are also the headquarters of Colorado's Outward Bound program:





The museum inside was really cool and had information about rock climbing all around the world:





I love rock climbing, unfortunately I've only done it a couple of times in my life (and all but one of those times were in rock gyms which can be expensive!) From what I learned at this museum, Colorado offers some of the most diverse climbing conditions in the world. Modern climbing is beginning to shift its focus from height to unique challenges such as free climbing (climbing with minimal safety gear to only be used to catch you if you fall!) Luckily, the ropes used today are made with nylon and are able to "give" a bit if you fall; hemp rope was the old standard and it wasn't very strong. I read that while steel cables are extremely strong, they are not used for climbing as they do not give at all and if you fall, the cable will snap your spine! Yikes!

Colorado is certainly the place to be for climbing with 54 mountains in the state over 14,000 feet high! (the Fourteeners)

With a long day of exploring behind me, last night I went to check out Downtown Denver. I also saw Alice in Wonderland in the Regal downtown. It was pretty good and sooo Tim Burton:







Needless to say, I was very tired last night! Fortunately, I got a very good night's sleep last night and was ready for the drive south to Colorado Springs today:



Garden of the Gods came highly recommended so I made a trip:



This place is a geological park that was promised by its founder to be free to the public forever:





It was very cold and the snow began to fall as I walked some of paths in the park but I was too enthralled to notice or care. The rock formations were incredible and of several varieties/colors:





This one is called Balanced Rock and has a great view from its base:





After a short visit to Garden of the Gods, it was time to continue south to Santa Fe. There were even more snow-capped mountains to see:



And the sky began to clear:



There is so much to see and do in Colorado! My only regret is not having enough time to experience it all. I was lucky that my visit occurred between two big snowstorms and that driving through the mountains was safe. I definitely want to come back in the summertime to take full advantage of the outdoor activities and the less-fickle weather; I had a hot-air balloon ride scheduled that had to be canceled due to the windy conditions.

Even with my short taste of this amazing state, I now understand its appeal. The natural beauty and endless recreation are simply too good to pass up.

I guess he'd rather be in Colorado,
He'd rather play his banjo in the morning when the moon is scarcely gone...
In the dawn the subways comin', in the dawn I hear him hummin'
Some old song he wrote of love in Boulder Canyon...
~ J. Denver

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Colorado looks amazing!! The locals look so nice too. :) Did it make you want to schedle another Outward Bound trip? Maybe a rock climbing one? Someday a Doodle will get to go on a hot air balloon ride...LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great trip, Dan! Lucy loves the horse and donkey pictures. Colorado looks amazing. No wonder Aunt Cathy loves visiting there! Drive safely!!!

    ReplyDelete